St Thomas’s, Ballinakill (Moyard)
This church, situated in a wooded area, retains most of its historic fabric. The windows have a simple design that is effective to the observer with attention being drawn especially to the south-east window with its timber tracery and the rose window. The church was built with the support of two local landlords, Thomas Butler of Crocknaraw and Thomas Prior of Ross. The first rector was Rev. Thomas de Vere Coneys, a Professor of Irish in Trinity College, Dublin.
The rectory garden seems to have been a focal point from early on. William Baylor Harland, the celebrated nurseryman from Cork, who visited in 1894, described it as ‘an oasis in the desert’.
An associated schoolhouse was also built to the west.
Sundays: 10am July & August.
Closed November to Easter.
Rest of the year 10am on 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month (services alternate between Holy Communion and Morning Prayer).