St Patrick’s, Killala
The parish is situated on the west side of Killala Bay and has strong links to St Patrick, hence the cathedral here is named for him. There has been a church on this site since before the 14th century. It started as a monastic settlement and gradually a small town developed and was established there by the medieval period, however the royal visitation of 1615 records the cathedral as a ruin. The present cathedral, one of Ireland’s smallest cathedrals, was built in 1670 with funds given by Thomas Otway, the then Bishop of Killala and Achonry, and the tower and spire were added in 1817 by the architect James Paine. The building is in the gothic style and has interior stone walls, box pews, and a gallery which houses a rare Telford organ, dating from 1838. There was an extensive restoration projected carried out in the early 1990s of the nave and chancel walls and windows. The graveyard contains a 9th century souterrain which has several chambers.
10.00am (2nd Sunday Holy Communion, 4th Sunday Morning Prayer)
5th Sunday United Worship around the Union