Holy Trinity, Westport
By 1855, the Church of Ireland community in Westport had grown too large to be accommodated in the old church. As the old building was falling into disrepair, plans to repair or build a new church were being considered.
In April 1869, plans were approved to build a new Church on the Newport Road in the town. It would replace the old Parish Church that had been built in 1797, in The Demesne of Westport House.
The site chosen on the Newport Road was a wooded area and trees had to be cleared for the building of Holy Trinity Church. This site had been donated to the parish, for the purpose, by the Most Noble George John, Third Marquess of Sligo, on 23rd of December 1868.
The Holy Trinity Church was consecrated on 26th of September 1872, by the Right Rev Dr. Charles Broderick Brendan, Bishop of Tuam.
Thomas Newenham Dean designed the Holy Trinity Church in Westport. Amongst his other great works in Mayo, is Turlough House Castlebar, where now the National Museum of Country Life is situated.
The Holy Trinity Church is of Gothic style, consisting of a semicircular apse at the east end, the organs been in the north side and the tower and spire on the south side. The porches are on the west side. The spire reaches a height of 185 feet; the spire is surmounted by an Irish cross in gilt metal, 6 feet long. The Church is built of Irish stone, believed to be located in the locality, punched, the dressings been in Scotch stone.