The villageof Congis best known as the main location for the making of the John Ford film ‘The Quiet Man’ film in 1951 and for the hotelAshfordCastle. Two church buildings in the villageof Conghave been used by the Churchof Irelandcongregation over the past two and a half centuries. The first church dates from the early 18th century and stands immediately opposite the Abbey of Cong in the centre of the village. The survival of a vestry minute book 1745-1785 documents some of the history of this building, for example the roof was tiled in 1759 and the floor flagged in 1775. A list of persons to whom pews were allocated in the 1770s included Edward Fynn of Ballymagibbon, a relative of Oscar Wilde’s grandmother. A new church was built in the second decade of the 19th century which incorporated the 18th century structure. The church silver currently in use dates from this time and is inscribed “CongChurch 1815”. The present church, consecrated in 1855, was built on a new site close to the avenue fromAshfordCastle and part of the Lambert estate, an estate purchased by Benjamin Lee Guinness in 1857. Sir Benjamin took an immediate interest in the church and paid for the building of a bell tower and stained glass windows in the early 1860s. Many members of the congregation in the following years worked for the Guinness family who continued to support the church until their departure from the locality in 1939. Although parishioners nowadays travel long distances to attend Sunday service at the church of St Mary’s, Cong, the parish still plays an important part in the local community and visitors to the locality are always very welcome to join in Sunday service, which is followed by a cup of coffee and a chat.

Services

Holy Communion Each Sunday 10.00am

Contact

Incumbent and Dean of Tuam Very Revd. Alistair Grimason
Deanery Place
Cong,County Mayo

Ph. 00353 (0)94 9546909
PMobile. 00353 (0)85 2821073
email deantuam@yahoo.co.uk

 

 

**********************************************************************************************

THE RITE of Confirmation was celebrated in St Mary’s By Bishop Rooke on 20th May. There was one candidate. Isabel Fenton-Browne is pictured here with her parents, Denis and Anne, alongside Dean Grimason and Bishop Rooke.

**********************************************************************************************

THE PARISH Outing this year took us to Clare Island in Clew Bay. Here are some memories of a great day out……..

 

 

 

 

 

*********************************************************************************************

CONG COMMUNITY FETE took  place in the grounds of St Mary’s on 14th July. Here are some highlights…..

An enthusiastic stall holder

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Dean invites Tom Figgis' daughter, Sally, to open the Fete

Tea anyone?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Horseshoes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IT’S ALL GO IN CONG THIS SUMMER! We held our Parish Barb-b-q at Meriel and Clive Blackwell’s house on 28th July. And there was an alterior motive over and above a good evening’s crac. We also presented Paul Johnston with a gift to mark his retirement from TCD. But we are very, very pleased that Paul will not be retiring from either parochial or diocesan service.

Clive the ChefTime to Eat!Presentation to Paul Johnston

 

Comments are closed.